Friday, December 12, 2008

Flashback Friday: Two Ships Passing in the Night

Once upon a time I was 11 years old. It was right before I got my glasses and braces, and right after I got my first perm. It was the beginning of my most awkward stage. My friend Amy talked me into becoming a cheerleader. Me, a 6th grade cheerleader. It's really not something I would normally do, as I don't tend to enjoy being watched by a crowd of people. But I did it, and it ended up being really fun.
Here is a picture of me doing my stuff at the first game. I'm the one in the middle.



I wasn't really paying attention to the basketball playing boys from the rival school, because I was nervous and just trying to remember all my moves. I had no idea that night would be the night I would first see my husband. Or, at least I imagine I saw him. He was there, playing basketball. Can you see him in the picture? He's number 21.



Apparently I was too nervous to notice him that night.

But boy oh boy, the spring immediately following this basketball season, I noticed him alright. All the 6th grades from the 3 schools in our corporation went on a 3 day camping trip to a local state park. The first day, I was walking along a path with a friend, and we looked down the hill and saw several students from one of the other schools. Right away I noticed a very cute boy, with spikey dark hair and tan skin. I asked my friend who he was, and she told me. I couldn't believe how cute he was. It would be another 3 months before I spoke to him. And another 10 years before I married him.

5 comments:

Malachi said...

Too funny!!! I would've been a cheerleader for your husband during this time!!! Funny pictures! Amy Jo would love you for it, I'm sure!!

Carol said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. Love the old pics! And how on earth did you come up with Ziodburg? :)

Lora said...

Thanks! Heh heh, he chose Zoidberg himself, didn't want to be known by his real name on here. It comes from his favorite tv show, Futurama.

Natalie said...

I love that you have a blog now! I also love those old pics. I bet I was cheering down at the other end of the bleachers during that game. It was a bit of a blast from the past seeing the old balance beam across the gym.
Natalie

Joany said...

Wow! I don't know if I ever knew this story or not. Very cool.