Friday, January 16, 2009

Flashback Friday: Junior High Romance

I was in 7th grade. I had noticed my guy at the 6th grade camp the year before, and boy was he a cutie. In 7th grade all the elementary schools in the district combined into one junior/senior high school and now my guy and I were going to the same school. We had English class together, right after lunch. Sometimes we even talked. Being nearly 13 years old, that was a big deal.


One weekend there was a school dance, and we were both there. I spent most of the night hanging out at a table with my friend Amy. But suddenly he appeared and asked me if I would dance with him. I freaked out and said no. Part of the reason was that I had a cast on my arm that was due to come off soon, and it smelled horrible. The other part of the reason was that I was simply terrified.


So I did the only logical thing. I spent the rest of the weekend regretting that I said no, and on Monday I asked him to be my boyfriend. He said yes.


We fell into a pattern, and talked on the phone several times a week. We also held hands on the walk from lunch to English.


It became apparent to other people that we were a couple. One morning, my friend Lois called me over to her locker between classes. She showed me a picture she had stuck inside the cover of a book. It was my guy in his football uniform. Mere weeks earlier, she had been my guy's girl, and he had given it to her. They broke up, and now she was interested in someone else, so she wanted me to have the picture. I took it, and hung it in my locker. It was the first picture I ever hung in my locker. I still have it. Want to see?





It's a little interesting to me that several of the pictures I've posted of my guy have involved him playing sports. After junior high, the only sports he participated in were swimming and street hockey. He doesn't even watch sports. But this is who he was in junior high.

Anyway, we had 7 glorious weeks together. During that time we attended a Valentine's Dance together. We got our picture taken. Please ignore my glasses. And my hair. My mom handmade that dress though, so don't ignore it.





One day, my two best friends cornered me at lunch. They told me that they felt he was taking up too much of my time; that I was neglecting them. They told me they wanted me to choose between them or him.


I chose them, and I broke my guy's heart.


But don't worry, the love story continues when he called me up out of the blue 2 years later.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Awww...you guys make me smile. :) We need to get together one of these days...we're only an hour apart!

Natalie said...

This is such a flashback for me too. I love reading this!
Natalie

Myssie said...

Ya'll are so cute!!

Lisa said...

ready for part 2!!!!
:D

Joany said...

I love the football picture! Very handsome.
What a great story you two have! Awww.....