Thursday, March 19, 2009

Real

This is what my driveway looked like all this week, until this morning when it was washed away by the rain.









There are some moments in my life when I feel like a "real" mother, whatever that even means. I think it's similar to the way that I will probably perpetually feel 12 years old inside my own head, regardless of how old my body gets. The fact that I'm a mama is just surreal to me most days. Surely I'm still just a child myself?


Anyway, I felt like a "real" mother when the neighbor girl came over and played with Bee in the front yard while I was inside with the baby on my hip cooking dinner. Then this morning I was standing at the washing machine rubbing stain remover onto the knee of a pair of grass-stained pants. It doesn't get more mom-like than that. Maybe it hits me that I'm a mom when I most resemble a mom in a tv commercial.

And that is sort of ironic, because when I am playing with my kids, when I am really acting 12 years old, down on the floor making funny faces and swinging my legs every which way and doing the goofiest things I can just to get a laugh, I believe those are the moments I'm more mama than any other time.


.

3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

very word true. Every word.

Ms. Moon said...

That is not what I meant to say. I meant to say EVERY word true. Every word.

Natalie said...

Way to go Bee for successful playdates!
Natalie