Thursday, April 2, 2009

Beautiful Birth

Last night my powerful, amazing, beautiful sister birthed a new life into the world. I had the honor of witnessing this event, and there are no words to describe the way I feel. Obviously I was present when my own babies were born, but I wasn't fully there. I was so turned inward, focusing on my body. So it was a brand new experience to watch my new niece enter into our world.


When she began pushing, I got goosebumps. Her voice was full. I could hear the pain, and the relief, and the sheer humanity that birth allows. She did an awesome job. She went from 6 cm dilated to 10 cm dilated and pushing in less than 15 minutes! She only pushed a couple of times and out came this tiny baby girl. Birth is amazing. My sister is fabulous. Here are a couple of pictures from last night. I can't wait to see her again!







4 comments:

Carol said...

How special that you got to be a part of it. Beautiful baby...and your sister looks great, too.

Corinne said...

Congratulations on the new addition :) What an amazing experience to be able to share with your sister.

Ms. Moon said...

WONDERFUL! Did you find yourself trying to "help" her push?
Holy moments. Glad you got to be there.

Lora said...

Ms. Moon, I *was* pushing! So funny. More than that though, I had to force myself to stop breathing in that "birthing" way. My body wanted to do something. It reinforced to me that I would like to be a doula.