Sunday, July 26, 2009

Lora Loves: Daytime Summer Thunderstorms

I think it's because of the lack of expectation. When it's raining outside, nobody expects me to pack a picnic or go on a long walk. Don't get me wrong, I love doing those things. But when there's thunder, it's like a free day off. A pass to just lie around and not feel like I should be doing something else.


Also, the house feels so cozy. We turn on the lights, and they glow yellow. We wear pajamas until noon. We eat sugary sweet food, like pancakes or muffins. We watch cartoons.


The loud thunder propels the kids directly into my arms, and I get lots of hugs and kisses.


Yesterday was like that. I eventually took the kids to the movies while my guy worked on the bunk bed he is building for Bee. (The sound of power tools in the garage is another fixture in our house on a rainy day.) When we came out of the theater, the sun was shining. It's such a contrast, to go in with everything wet and to sit in the dark for two hours, then to come outside to the blinding hot sun.


Today was sunny and warm, and I was glad for it. I like my thunder one day at a time.


.

No comments: