Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Birthday Cakes I Have Crafted

In just two days, my little boy will turn six years old. Six! It's going to be a full week of celebration. We are going to the Children's Museum, to a state park, and having a family party on Saturday. Yesterday we had a party with our weekly playgroup. I brought cupcakes and balloons, the kids played and the adults talked. After it was over, he said, "So many people told me 'happy birthday' didn't they?" He was really happy.


When he turned one, I decided I wanted to make my kids' birthday cakes. The only cake decorating experience I had at the time was from working in a Great American Cookie store, where I decorated big cookies. Mostly just stars and writing.


So I kept it simple that first year. Polka dots.

He liked it.



By his second birthday, he had latched onto Froggy as his lovey. He started sleeping with that frog every night, and still does. So I decided on a frog cake. I also decided to try my hand at fondant icing.


Of course there had to be frogs peeking out of the water too.



For his third birthday, he told me that he wanted an elephant cake. Not a flat one, he said, but a big standing one. Hmm. It took me a while to settle on a design. It took forever to make this cake. But it was fun!


Yes, he's an edible elephant.



At age 4, he was really into dinosaurs, and requested a dinosaur cake. This is what I came up with. One funny thing about this cake was that he was with me when I bought the fruit leather for the spikes on the dinosaur's back. He did not understand how it would work, and he protested loud and long about how he didn't want fruit leathers on his cake. He thought I was going to lay them flat over it. No matter how I explained it, he didn't get it. So I just made it, and then he could see it, and he loved it a lot.



For his 5th birthday party, he couldn't decide between crocodiles or pirates. So we did both.




This year, he asked me for a combine cake. Combine, as in combine harvester. One of these:





I think it's super cool that he wants one. But gah, how will I do this? I think this will be the hardest one yet. I'll post pictures after the party on Saturday, so you can see either a lovely cake or a terrible disaster. My friend Kim loaned me her tractor cake pan, so there is a backup plan!


.

16 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Oh my god! You are a cake artist! I'm in awe.

Lora said...

Thank you! I appreciate the comment. I like the part where I realize I really *can* make it look how I want it to, after thinking for hours that it won't come out right.

Joany said...

You are SO talented! I plan to make Jillian's birthday cakes too! I'm really excited!

Myssie said...

Lora, your cakes are always amazing! And taste good too!! I am sure that the combine cake will be no exception! Happy Birthday Bee!! (can you even believe that they are 6??!!)

Susanne said...

I can't wait to see the combine! I'm sure it'll turn out beautiful!

scaccogirl said...

When my brother was little my mom made a tractor cake for him. The back wheelswere ding-dongs and the front wheels were oreos. Not sure how she managed the rest... Anyway, he loved it so much that he wouldn't let use at the tractor part! We had to cut around the base and eat the flat cake underneath! Good luck! Can't wait to see it!

Anonymous said...

Please show a picture of your combine cake. My son is turning 6 in 10 days and wants a combine cake. He has had so many types of tractor cakes and he is ready to switch things up to a combine. I am the same way and wondering how to do it, but would love to surprise him with a combine harvester cake. Please post tips on how you did it.

Lora said...

Anonymous, if you check the next post I wrote after this one, you will find pictures of the combine cake. If the pictures aren't helpful enough, email me and I'll give you more details.

Anonymous said...

Your cakes look amazing, please send photos and, if possible, instructions, for your combine harvester cake. I have to make one for my four year old grandson by 10 October. HELP!

Jane

Lora said...

Jane, I would be happy to send you the instructions, but I will need your email address.

-Lora

Alys said...

oh my goodness! i LOVE the dinosaur cake! would you be able to send me instructions on how you made it :) alyssalogston@gmail.com
my little boy is turning one in december and he LOVES dinosaurs!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane,
I have to make a combine cake for my father in laws 70th in two weeks. Please would you email photos and method (to the madness) I would be very grateful.

misstonitait@gmail.com

thanks heaps
Toni

Anonymous said...

I think you have an amazing talent. well done on creating these cakes! I would love to try and do a dinosaur cake for my sons birthday, would you be able to give me some hints on how to do that one please? love your work. my email is m.tippett@hotmail.com

Nicole said...

Hi Lora!! I came across your blog today while I was googling 3-D dinosaur cakes, and saw your adorable cakes. I make cakes and the oldest boy i nanny for is turning 6 and wants a dinosaur cake. i was wondering if you could email me directions on how to make yours if you wouldn't mind!

thank you so much and i look forward to reading more of your blog!

nicolebeverly87@gmail.com

Zambia said...

Lora, I live in Zambia, Africa, and I have a son who is JD combine harvester CRAZY - it is his birthday in 10 days!!! I saw the picture of the beautiful combine harvester cake you constructed for your son's 6th birthday -- PLEASE email me step-by-step instructions on how you did it URGENTLY on my personal email dk@dunsea.net
I would so appreciate the help!
Katherine

Zambia said...

Lora, I live in Zambia, Africa, and I have a son who is JD combine harvester CRAZY - it is his birthday in 10 days!!! I saw the picture of the beautiful combine harvester cake you constructed for your son's 6th birthday -- PLEASE email me step-by-step instructions on how you did it URGENTLY on my personal email dk@dunsea.net
I would so appreciate the help!
Katherine