Monday, September 21, 2009

Surprise!

My sister, my dad's partner, and I decided to throw a surprise 60th birthday party for my dad. We made lists, split up tasks, and got to work. My jobs were: invitations, cakes, green beans, help decorate.


The party was Saturday night, and it was wonderful!


It was a hilarious afternoon, trying to sneak me in. Because see, the party was at my sister's house, which is right next door to my dad's house. I couldn't just drive in, or he'd see me and get suspicious. Our original plans didn't work out for getting him out of the house, and my family ended up hanging out at the church down the road waiting on a call to tell us it was safe to drive in. But it was nice, because we visited the graves of some family and enjoyed the weather. It is a bit morbid hearing your 5 year old tell you which gravestone he wants though. Dad finally got into the shower, and we rushed down and parked our car behind a grain bin, then ran into my sister's house. He left later than we hoped, only giving us 45 minutes to get ready for the party.


The men drove off to get the tables and chairs, and the rest of us started running around decorating and setting stuff out.


My kid thought it was hilarious trying to tape down the tablecloths in the wind.


After a lot of quick work, the place was decorated and ready.



So many people came. I'd guess around 50. We noticed the line of trucks parked in the grass. I guess if you want to be my dad's friend, you better own a truck!


I think he was really surprised to see us all there. I know he was suspicious, but I don't think he knew exactly what was happening. He was pretty red in the face, but very happy.



My son told him, "We wanted to surprise you!"
We ate fried fish and lots of other delicious food, talked and laughed. It was so nice to see family I hadn't seen in years. Later in the party, my niece had arranged for dad's old army buddy who lives in Alaska to call him. That was a nice surprise for him too. My guy and my sister made a video for him, and I think he liked it.

My girl loved the party too, especially trying to sneak into the ice chest.
She did hide from a few people she didn't know though, until she would peek her head out and say "boo."

I love my dad so much. He is such a generous person, a giver through and through. I'm so glad that we were able to give something to him.


.

2 comments:

real life momma said...

I loved it too! It was so awesome to do something for someone who does so much for you. I am so glad we were able to do it for him, and we actually thought of something that he enjoyed so, so much!

Ms. Moon said...

He's beautiful. Just like the rest of your family.