Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Before We're All Up

There was a thunderstorm last night. It was so loud and so close. I woke up and looked at my daughter sleeping next to me. I wondered how she could sleep through that noise. I put my hand on her belly and waited to feel the rise and fall. I felt it, and relaxed. Then I realized my husband was out of bed. So I got up and peeked into my son's room, and he too was sleeping and breathing. I found my guy, he had gotten up to adjust the tarp over the room add-on project.


So everyone was safe.


Everyone is safe.


Things always seem sort of crazy in the middle of the night.


But now it's morning. One of us is at work, one of us is still asleep, and two of us are here in this room trying to stay quiet enough not to wake the sleeping one.


The rain is gone now, but the ground is still wet. I wonder what we'll do. My new book club book finally arrived. I have 10 days to read it, which should be easy enough because it's pretty short. The book for this month is All New People by Anne Lamott. I have read other books by her and really liked them, so I have high expectations for this book.


So I'll probably try to read a bit, and I know for sure that we'll go out to observe the birds in the garage. Because the construction has left many small entrances, a mama bird found her way in and has built a nest on our electrical box.

Can you see the nest?


We have to stand on a ladder to peer into the nest, but there are some very new babies inside. Last night we watched the mama bird return with something in her mouth for them. Here is the worst picture I've ever taken, but perhaps you can make out the babies in the nest.


My husband said the flash was in manual mode, but I don't know a thing about that.


It's peaceful to watch the birds and listen to their tiny chirps.


It reminds me of my life, with my tiny little children chirping for a snack, some water, a hug.


I wonder if the baby birds slept through the storm too.


.

2 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I am still waiting for my baby birds to fly from the nest. The parents are so busy, bringing in food.
I'm glad y'all survived the storm so well.

Maggie May said...

that's amazing, so lucky! i would love for my kids to see that. we have a nest every SPring in our front, but can't see it. i'm here from Ms. MOon, nice to meet you.