Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hospital

Sunday morning at 5:00 the phone rang. We didn't wake up until the last ring. But then it immediately started ringing again. I made my husband go get it, because we don't keep a phone in the bedroom.

I lie there, half awake, until I realized that he was perfectly silent, listening to whoever was talking on the phone. Then my whole body buzzed awake, and my mind started racing. What was the phone call about? I thought about all of our parents, I thought about my loved ones who were currently sick. But I couldn't get out of bed. My legs felt like they weighed 100 pounds each. Finally, he hung up the phone and came back to bed, and told me what was happening.

It was my mom.

She had bleeding in her brain. She'd been sent from one hospital to another via ambulance.

My mom.

I bolted upright, my arms and legs got really hot and tingly, and I thought I might throw up.

First thing to do--call my sister. I always call her first when something like this happens.

Then a quick shower, wake the kids, pack an overnight bag, get in the car, try to breathe during the nearly 2 hour drive there. Don't cry don't cry don't cry. Okay, cry a little bit after the kids have fallen asleep in the darkness of the morning.

Park the car, try everything I can to get the kids to just walk faster. At the desk they told us that she was still in the ER.

Walk about a million miles to the ER, find her room, push the door open.

There she was, on the bed, with her eyes open. Awake. Talking.

Relief.

As soon as I got there and saw her, I immediately felt better. I could hug her and tell her I love her and there was hope.

Over the course of the next two days she had many tests and much pain, but they were able to rule out the worst possible scenarios. I don't want to post her private medical details, but the outcome is so good, compared to what it could have been. She will stay in the ICU for probably another week while she reabsorbs the blood in her brain. She is going to be okay. It's not likely to happen again. She will heal.

I'm feeling so thankful.

There is an ice storm here. The trees are sparkling and beautiful, the windows look like stained glass or maybe more like shower doors. So I can't go visit mom today. It's okay though, because I think my kids could use a day off from the driving and waiting and being quiet.

I just want to say that I LOVE my mama, and I'm feeling very grateful to have her.




.

4 comments:

Lora said...

I'm glad she is ok! Thoughta and prayers for he continued healing.

Joany said...

I was hoping you were able to stay home today!
I'm so thankful for these results!

Natalie said...

Prayers going out for your mama.
Natalie

Ms. Moon said...

Oh Lora. I'm so glad she's going to heal and be okay.