Monday, March 28, 2011

Home

Last night as I tucked my son in bed, I smooched him and sniffed his hair. I told him he smells like a corn field at harvest, which I tell him all the time because it's true. He said, "You just like it because I smell like home."

He really does smell like home to me. I grew up on a farm, surrounded by fields of corn and soybeans. I know that smell of harvest like it's my childhood in a bottle. I don't know why his hair smells like that, but it does and always has.

My daughter smells like baby kittens. I don't know if it's the milky smell of a nursing toddler or just her natural scent, but I sure hope it doesn't disappear when she weans. Because baby kittens also feature prominently in my childhood and the smell of them brings me a huge amount of joy and peace.

I wonder what my husband thinks the kids smell like. Maybe to him they smell like something different, but something that calls him back to childhood too. It could be the magic of children, to smell like home, no matter their scent.

All I know is that now when I go visit at harvest, and when I hold the baby kittens on the farm in spring, I will be thinking of my children.


.

3 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

I smelled Owen's hair today and told him it smelled like Owen. And then I hugged him so hard.

Coco said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Coco said...

Scents
Lora - isn't it amazing how the sense of smell can be so priceless. I used to smell Logan's hair all of the time although I can't really think of any word to describe it. It is his scent. He has been living of out of town now for 2 years, but his pillows on his bed still smell like him. When I get to really missing him, I go in his room and smell those pillows which remind me of the days when he lived at home and I could hug him and sniff his hair. I am so happy that you are cherishing each minute with your children. They grow up too quickly.