Friday, July 15, 2011

John Deere Combine Cake Directions

You may ignore this post unless you are my sister or my niece. Or I suppose if you are really curious how to make a combine cake, you could read this. It's heavy on the pictures, because my niece is planning to make one for her 4-H project and this was the easiest way to share my pictures. At times like these, I'm thankful that my husband is a photographer.

So I started with a quarter sheet cake. (I suppose you'll start with a 16"x20"x2" styrofoam block. I cut a piece of wood about 5x8 inches. Maybe not quite that big? I covered it with foil. Then I cut 2 slabs of cake that size as well, and piled them on top, with icing in between. Here is a picture of that:

Then I picked an end to be the back, and rounded the edges, like this:

I cut a wedge shaped piece of cake to be the cab, and attached it with icing and shish-kabob skewers. I also made a hopper like a rectangle with a bowl hollowed out inside. Here are some pictures of those:


Then I covered the whole thing in green stars, like so:

Here is a close-up of the cab, after I iced the top, but before I did the windows. Notice how the hopper is right up to the cab on top:

I poked in a bendy straw to be the auger. I cut the bent part a little shorter. I used a smooth tip to pipe icing on all around it:


I dipped my finger in corn starch to pat the icing smooth. The corn starch just soaks in:

I put on the toy combine head. (I'll get it to you somehow!) I attached a ding dong with frosting for the front wheels, and chocolate covered donettes for the back wheels, and a little yellow icing for details. Candy corn in the hopper:


Gray for the windows, lined in black:
Done!



Good luck! I know you can do it.




.

26 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Holy Mother of...
Beautiful!

Joany said...

So cool! Good luck P!

Delberta said...

Thank you for posting the directions! My grandson will LOVE it. He loves everything John Deere.

Shannon said...

This is amazing!!! I am going to try to do this for my son's 4th and his Pappy's 65th birrthday. Alot their memories shared already are on John Deere equipment, but the favorite is the combine. Thanks for posting pictures to coordinate with the steps.

Brandi said...

My son is obsessed with combines! He will LOVE this for his 5th birthday next month!

Thank you so much for posting pictures & instructions!!!!

Anonymous said...

My son would love this cake! What did you use for the corn attachment? He has combine toys, but all of them are too small for the cake size.

Lora said...

Anon, the corn head is from a toy, one of the bigger scale size. But if you don't have one, I suggest cutting one out of cardboard and painting it. Or if you're feeling adventurous, you could mold it out of fondant. Good luck!

Jamie said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! My 2 year old wants a combine cake next month for his birthday and I just couldn't quite get the logistics figured out in my head, you have saved my sanity!

Anonymous said...

wow! what a great cake! my 2yr old loves combines and i have been trying to figure out how to make him a combine cake!!! This is just fabulous... thank you!

Cara said...

Would you mind sharing your frosting recipe, please? There are so many different kinds & I don't even know what to look for in a "good" recipe.

Lora said...

Sure! I use the Wilton buttercream recipe. 1 cup crisco, 1 cup butter, 1 tsp vanilla, 8 cups confectioner's sugar (32 oz), 4 Tbsp milk.

Cara said...

Thanks for the recipe!

Sarah said...

This is a great cake and I'm going to make one for my sons 3rd birthday coming up. What scale of header did you use?

Lora said...

The scale was 1/32. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I am so looking forward to making this cake for my son's 5th birthday, please could you tell me what sponge you used and also what sizes, many thanks Amanda

Alisha said...

I just made this for my little cousins for their birthday, the one is 3 and the other is 1. The 3 year old is obsessed with John Deere and combines so this was perfect! Can't wait for him to see it! Thanks again for the awesome idea!

KidSafeCandles said...

Wow my boys would LOVE this cake. It looks way too complicated for me though! Thanks for sharing :)

Megan B said...

When my 5yo requested a combine cake for his birthday, I went on to Pinterest and found this cake. AWESOME! Thank you so much for putting this tutorial together. I was able to make one for him and he LOVED it. Thanks!

That Pink Haired Girl said...

Any suggestions on where to get a combine head without having to pay for the entire toy?

amy johnson said...

Hi! I just made this cake a couple of days ago for a joint birthday party for my little guy and husband. I was wondering if I could take your tutorial... pictures included... and put them on my blog. As a guest post of sorts. I couldn't find your email to send an inquiry to, but please let me know your thoughts... farmerswifeamy@gmail.com. You can check out my blog if you'd like too... denimandplaid.blogspot.com.

Thanks doll!!

Ashley Moore said...

Does anyone know how many if feeds?

amy johnson said...

When I made it, it fed about 25 people.

http://denimandplaid.blogspot.com/2014/02/combine-cake-tutorial.html

Amy

Tiffany said...

Thank you so much for this! You helped me make my little guys birthday something special! Mine didn't look near as professional, but he recognized what it was and that is all that counts!

Anonymous said...

I made this a couple years ago for my son's 4th birthday and every year since he requests the same cake lol (I'm having a hard time living up to this one with any other cake I make). I wanted to share what I did for the header. I didn't have a plastic toy one so I used cake and cut a row crop header out of it and frosted it just like the combine (I figured that type of header would be easier to create ha). It turned out perfect! Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial.

Amanda Rochon said...

Just made this as a novice decorator. Came out pretty well. Thank you for posting. Had no idea how I was going to make a combine cake after my 4 year old requested one. You saved me. Lol

andrea chiu said...

Start your day positively and the rest will follow. Please do visit my site.Thank you and have a good day.

triciajoy.com

www.triciajoy.com