Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Preschool Daughter

She is 3 and a half years old. Yesterday, she started her first year of preschool.

She picked out her clothes. She wanted to wear "lacy socks pulled up" and her tap shoes. We took her picture by the round bush out front, as per tradition.


She's goofy...




...and she gets a kick out of her goofy self.

I wonder if you wonder why we send her to preschool when we are a homeschooling family. Well, just in case you wonder, I'll tell you. I didn't start out as a person who planned to homeschool. I used to say, "I wish I wanted to homeschool." We sent our son to the MOST FUN preschool ever in the history of preschools. We also sent him there for kindergarten. But, since they don't offer first grade, I had to make some choices with him. After spending months searching, I realized that homeschooling was the best option for his particular needs. So I dove in. I was surprised to discover that I love doing it. I don't have to wish to want to do it, I do and it just feels right. So anyway, I'm not at all anti-school. Our preschool is play-based and child-led, feels like a family, and is super duper fun. Our son had 3 great years there, and so will our daughter, if she wants. I can't think of a better way for her to spend 2 mornings a week than painting and playing and making messes at this school.


For her first day, class was only an hour long and all the mamas stayed and played. I was lucky enough to watch her meet her teachers and talk to them a little bit. That was great because usually when someone she doesn't know asks her a question, she will look at me and say, "I want you to tell them for me."


She played in a big table of moon sand. She proclaimed this her
favorite thing of all.


She spent a while at the dollhouse.

She hammered some golf tees into styrofoam.


She also painted 2 cardboard letters and glued stuff onto them, played with the playdough, and doctored the baby dolls. She was glad to see that they were anatomically correct.

When Robin, the music teacher, came in strumming her autoharp and singing softly, my daughter was transfixed. She sat on my lap at Robin's feet and watched and listened to the songs. After a little while, Robin played Old MacDonald. When it was time to think of an animal, she pointed at my girl asking for a suggestion. She looked at me quickly and said, "Mama, let's go to a different classroom!" I about fell over, she is just so much like me. I do not like to be put on the spot, and neither does she. That was the point we turned back to the moon sand.

Tomorrow I am the class mama, and I get to bring the snack and stay to watch the children play. My son will be going to work with daddy for a couple hours, which is so special for them both. Next week I will leave her there by herself, and we will see how that goes. She is a confident girl, and I think it will be fine.

As long as they haven't swapped out the moon sand for something else.


.


2 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Moon sand? Did it come from the moon? I would not be surprised.
Your daughter is one of the most beautiful and engaging children I have ever seen. Or, you know- in pictures.
I love your little family. Here's to big adventures in preschool!

Corinne said...

It never seemed like even a decision for us to make - we just assumed preschool was in the cards for the kids, even if homeschooling comes after! There is so much fun to be had at preschool, and that one looks so fantastic!! :)