Monday, October 10, 2011

For 8, He Wanted Cranes

About 3 years ago we got a picture book called Lissie's Friends. It's about a girl who has the skill of folding origami and the imagination to see her creations as friends. In the back of the book there are instructions for making a paper crane. For 3 years, every time we read that book, my son would want us to try to make a paper crane.

Those instructions were crap.

(Yes, that means all my attempts at a crane ended up looking like wadded paper.)

So finally I looked up instructions on Youtube. I figured out that crane, and suddenly my kid decided he wanted an origami birthday party, and for his cake to be shaped like a crane!

Uh.

When it comes to the kids' birthday cakes, I go a little nuts. I am certainly not a professional cake maker, but I really have fun creating what they ask me to make. So I dove in and this is what I made:








He was happy, so I was too. After all that, learning to fold all those origami figures (especially the owl) was much harder than making the cakes. But it's fun to have a new skill.




.

4 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Mmmmm. What a beautiful idea! And what a beautiful birthday boy.

Anonymous said...

Belated wishes to Bee.
What are the wings and head of the blue cake made off?

Lora said...

The wings, head, and tail are made of fondant icing. I shaped them and left them to dry for a couple of days. They couldn't have used another day to dry out.

Malke said...

It's all so beautiful! Were those GF/CF cakes? I have a really great GFCF banana cake cupcake recipe (with chocolate glaze frosting) if you're interested. We can't make it any more b/c of egg allergy, but it's divine.