Friday, March 16, 2012

All Herself

Some days I put on lipstick and earrings, wear a skirt and feel like a lady.

Some days I curl up in pajamas and read a book, eat popcorn, and shut out the world.

Some days I wear jeans and dig in the dirt, plant flowers and sweep the porch.

Some days I put on my leather boots, and go on a date with my husband, feeling 24.

Some days I wear a ponytail and take the kids to the park, and on a picnic. Kiss their faces off.


I am so many different people inside one body. Often it feels like I have to choose which me I'll be each day.


Earlier this week, we were hanging around out front. I watched my daughter.


There she is, wearing a fancy red skirt, gold sequin shoes, sport socks,
and no shirt. She's pushing a wheelbarrow, digging up weeds.


Serious hard work.


Here are her freshly painted nails, dirty hands, and the
soup she made me.


She's laughing.


She's thoughtful.


Seeing all of this unfold, seeing her unfold, I see that she too is so many different things. The beauty of her is that she combines all those facets of herself in each moment with no self-consciousness. She wears her sparkly shoes, digs in the dirt, paints her nails, laughs, feels serious, wears no shirt, runs, sits with her legs crossed. In the span of 5 minutes time, she is every part of who she is.

I want to be just like her when I grow up.



.

2 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Oh Lora. This broke my heart, the beauty of all of it. Yours and hers and all of us who possess so many of ourselves inside.

Erin said...

I LOVE this post.