Wednesday, October 31, 2012

To Myself

I have the whole house to myself.  My son is at a friend's house, my daughter is at preschool, and my husband is at work.

Usually when the kids are gone, my husband and I have time together.  This morning it's just me.

This is a rarity, and something that I crave...until I actually get it. 

I always imagine that the quiet of the house will feel so soothing.  In truth it makes me a little anxious.  I keep checking the clock to make sure I'm not late to pick up anybody.  I keep jumping when I hear sounds, like it's an echo of a request made of me and I have to get to work. 

I know I've forgotten how to fully relax.  I mean, kids are just so relentless.  In the best possible ways, but still, it's easy for a mama to get used to being so busy and so needed. 

One thing I know for sure is that I will not be doing any dishes or emptying the trash cans.  I'll be reading my book, watching tv, or filing my nails.

Possibly even just sitting on the couch and staring into space, allowing a thought to begin and finish all in one go.


.

No comments: