Sunday, August 11, 2013

Yep, he has long hair

So, my son has long hair. 

It's true.

When he was little, I kept his hair pretty short.  It was easy to wash and comb, and for a kid who hated to have his head touched or to get any water on his face, that was important.

He's 5 in this picture.

When he was 6, he asked to grow his hair out, so that he could stay warm the following winter.  We said, "Sure."





It grew.

It got about this long:

7.5 years old.

Then he wanted it cut.

Age 8, with dear Alice.

Then we started reading Harry Potter, and he wanted to grow in out like Dumbledore and Sirius Black.  So he grew it again.  More than half of his friends have long hair, so he probably didn't deliberate long over his decision. 

So now it's long.


Sometimes he combs it:





Sometimes he doesn't:



Sometimes he is mistaken for a girl.  He does not mind at all.  He says, "Well, I know I'm a boy, so why does it matter what they think?"   I love that attitude. 

He recently got an inch trimmed off, then went back yesterday and had another inch cut off.  He was having trouble with tangles, so he wanted it to be easier to manage.  (If he's going to have long hair, it's his job to care for it.) 

What I love is that he was so inspired and moved by the characters in his books, that he wanted to emulate them in appearance.   

Hair fashions change all the time, I love that he's just doing what he feels like doing.

The woman who cut his hair yesterday told him he was lucky that I let him have long hair, because she sees many little boys in the chair crying while she buzzes their hair off, because their moms won't let them have it long.  She looked at me and said, "You pick your battles, am I right?" 

Well, she's right, I do try to pick only the battles that are very important to me.  But his choice to have long hair was never a battle in our house. 

(Maybe other moms choose the hair battle for a good reason, and I don't begrudge them that at all.  They probably give me the side-eye when I tell my kids they can't do something they allow.)



.

.

2 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

He is a beautiful being. Like his mother. I have missed you, girl! And your family. I am glad to see you here and please tell your son that I like his hair very, very much.

Lora said...

Thank you, Mary. It means a lot to me that you still check in here!